This is a manual dedicated to ShinePlus, a ScreenReader and a Magnifier for blind and visually impaired people. You will find detailed information on how to set it up, use and work with this new ScreenReader, which is coming to the android world. The manual will also explain the ShinePlus functionalities and how to use them. Everything is covered on this manual from instructions to useful tips and we hope you will enjoy using ShinePlus.
1. Instructions for Blind users
1) Browse Item
- Read each item by exploring the screen with one finger. You can move your finger from the right to the left side or from the top to the bottom of the screen.
2) Browse Next Item
- Swipe left or right with one finger to read items on the screen. The icons, items and buttons are read when you swipe from the left to the right or from the right to the left side of the screen.
3) Opening an Item
- Quickly double tap to open items including icons, menus, buttons, etc.
- Swipe with two fingers on the lock screen to unlock the device, or swipe from the bottom towards the top of the screen to scroll down a list. Scroll up the list by swiping from the top to the bottom of the screen.
- Additionally, you can swipe with two fingers from the left or the right side of the screen to go to the next or the previous page.
5) Reconfirm Item
- To reread or stop pointed items, draw a line towards the bottom of the screen with one finger.
6) End Voice Mode
- Voice mode is ended when continuously swiping up and down with one finger.
7) Start Voice Mode
- Voice mode starts when you touch the notification bar at the top of the screen.
8) Command According to the Situation
- When you swipe up with one finger, ShinePlus performs a certain command according to the situation, such as opening the lock screen, receiving a call, ending a call, or reading all contents on the screen.
9) Command Panel Shortcut
- The command panel opens when swiping left and right continuously or quickly swiping left then right with one finger.
10) Pause Voice Mode
- Pause or restart the voice mode by swiping with one finger up and down continuously.
2. People with Low Vision
1) Stop Zoom Mode
- Zoom mode can be paused when swiping with one finger up and down continuously.
2) Start Zoom Mode
- You can start the zoom mode by touching the notification bar on top of the screen.
3) Zoom Letter
- When holding and moving the screen with one finger, the items become zoomed.
4) Opening the Item
- Double tap or tap once to open items such as icons or buttons according to a certain option.
- Swipe with two fingers on the lock screen to unlock the device, or swipe from the bottom towards the top of the screen to scroll down a list. Scroll up the list by swiping from the top to the bottom of the screen. In addition, you could swipe with two fingers from the left or the right side of the screen to go to the next or the previous page.
6) Zoom Next Item
- Quickly draw a line pointing to the right with one finger. Items will be shown in order.
7) Reconfirm Zoom Letter
- Draw a line towards the bottom with one finger to zoom or stop the pointed item.
8) Command According To the Situation
- Separate view appears by zooming all letters on the screen when swiping up with one finger.
9) Zoom or Voice Change
- You can change to Zoom or Voice mode by swiping up continuously with one finger.
10) Command panel Shortcut
- Command panel is opened when swiping left and right continuously with one finger.
3. Vision Protection (Presbyopia or People with Low Vision)
1) Show the CandyBar
- The CandyBar appears when touching the top right corner of the screen.
2) Hide CandyBar
- The CandyBar can be hidden by touching the white band, which is at the right end of the Candy Bar.
3) Read Screen Text
- After pressing the red band, move to the location of the screen you want in order to read the text by voice.
4) Read All Contents of the Screen
- After pressing the orange band, touch the words to read all the contents by voice.
5) Zoom Text on the Screen
- After pressing the yellow band, go to the location of the screen where you want the text to be zoomed.
6) Zoom All Contents of the Screen
- After pressing the green band, touch the words on screen for all to be zoomed.
7) Moving the CandyBar
- Press and hold the white band and move your finger up and down to move the Candybar.
8. Change the CandyBar Zoom Function
- Move while tapping on the white band, then let go when the new CandyBar set appears to change.
9) Change Settings
- Long press the white band for the settings screen.
10) Corner Shortcut Function
- Double tap or long tap on the right top corner of the screen to open. The selected App widget is only operational when the CandyBar is hidden (select the App you want to be opened in the settings menu).
Basic Understanding of ShinePlus
1. What is ShinePlus?
ShinePlus is an accessibility service that reads items on the screen by voice as you explore it with your fingers or zooms the text on the screen of your device. Shine Plus is available on android smartphones. It is compatible with the most popular Apps and it can be very useful for the blind people, people with low vision, or people with visual impairment due to Presbyopia, Dyslexia, or other eye diseases.
2. Features of ShinePlus
- ShinePlus can be used by combining zoom and voice according to the user¡¯s disability and various sight problems.
- Voice and Zoom mode can be turned on or off so that they operate accordingly to the pattern of use for people with impaired vision.
- Additional options such as Whisper and Eartalk are included to help protect your privacy due to voice feedback.
- Enhances usability among Apps that are widely used and includes a Mobile Accessibility tool.
-The App is used for vision protection as the HIDE UI function, which has a beautiful design.
- ShinePlus works efficiently on versions above Android¡¯s JellyBean. Like most of the Android apps, ShinePlus can be downloaded from the Google Playstore. After installing ShinePlus, tap on the ShinePlus icon and open the settings. When you tap on the ShinePlus icon, Android will recommend the Keyboard and the Text-to-speech engine and installation will appear. You can skip this installation.
(It is automatically skipped when phone is supported). Next, there will be a screen which will allow you to select how you need to use ShinePlus. For the blind, select Voice oriented zoom support. For people with vision over 0.1, select zoom oriented voice support. Others are recommended to select the vision protection mode. However, Types of use can be easily changed by going to ShinePlus settings. Next, select ShinePlus and the Accessibility items according to the instructions shown on the bottom of the screen. Following this, press the activate button. Agree with the terms and conditions and all the installation will then be successfully completed.
- Take a look at the quick manual to familiarize yourself with ShinePlus.
Note: Close other accessibility services such as Talkback before using ShinePlus.
1) Remove ShinePlus from your device.
- Select Applications, settings and go to app manager. Explore the list until you find ShinePlus. Double tap on it and select uninstall to remove ShinePlus.
(Samsung users: go to applications, settings, tap on general and then on app manager. You could additionally uninstall the app by using task manager found on the recent apps.)
2) Stop Operation
- Tap on Applications and then settings. Go to app manager and select ShinePlus. Click the force stop button to stop the ShinePlus from operating.
5. ShinePlus Home
- The ShinePlus Home screen appears when tapping on the ShinePlus icon.
(The setting screen appears when starting ShinePlus for the first time. After exiting the settings screen, ShinePlus Home automatically appears)
- More content is provided for the use of ShinePlus within the ShinePlus Home. Refer to the ShinePlus Home Main Service for further details.
6. Changing the ShinePlus Settings
- There is a menu to change the settings on ShinePlus. Open the ShinePlus app and tap on settings. Various options are displayed in different sections.
1) Automatic Updates
- The Update Dialog appears when using ShinePlus when there are any updates available. Tap on the update button to install the updates.
2) Manual Updates
- Open ShinePlus and select the Update menu. Move to the corresponding App store when there are any updates available.
8. Additional Installation
1) TTS Installation
- For ShinePlus to run normally, a text-to-speech Engine must be installed on the phone. If the TTS engine is not installed, additional installation is required. In this case, download Google TTS for free. A download message will pop up on the ShinePlus initial screen installation if the TTS is not already installed.
Note: a High Quality TTS is recommended and you can find it by visiting the Store in the ShinePlus Home.
- The basic keyboard needs to be supported by mobile accessibility to enter letters on ShinePlus. If the basic keyboard is not supported, additional installation of other keyboards is required. If this is the case, download Google Keyboard for free. If the Google keyboard is not already installed, a message to download it will be shown on the ShinePlus initial screen.
Note: a high quality keyboard is recommended and you can find it by visiting the Store in the ShinePlus Home.
3) Web Surfing
- Use Google Chrome as a basic web browser for normal surfing while using ShinePlus.
If Chrome is not installed on your device, it can be downloaded on Playstore, or by visiting the Store in the ShinePlus Home.
- ShineTools is a mobile software product specialized in supplementary engineering for visually impaired people. There are various App tools including an electronic magnifier, a recorder that removes TTS sound as well as other features. Various ShineTools can be downloaded by visiting the Store in the ShinePlus Home.
Main Operating Methods
1. Operation Concept
- Navigation is the process of checking or reading items on the screen. It is the same as sited people looking at the screen. These operations may include swiping and hovering.
- This is the process, which involves operation of items in the clickable screen. Commands include opening Apps, changing screen, moving screen as well as dragging and double tapping. Navigation makes no changes on the screen whereas Execution does.
- Selection is the process of navigation and execution combined together. For blind equipment control, navigation and execution can prevent confusion, rather than expressing settings as a selection.
4) Element and Object
- This is the minimum clickable unit, which involves elements that make up the screen. It is visually classified and can be pointed out to become the target of operation. Navigating screen content refers to locating object units.
2. Basic Operations
- As a basic operation method of navigation, this is the process of checking content with your hand by hovering the touch screen. Hovering is used to quickly navigate when you know the item¡¯s location. The operation is not valid when the hand is not in touch with the screen.
- As another operational method of navigation, swiping refers to quickly moving to the right, like drawing lines by placing the fingers to the left part of the screen. This is also known as swiping to the right. Swiping focuses the screen¡¯s elements, when you swipe to the right or to the left with one finger. You can locate an item despite its position on the screen. So the content does not have to be found by exploring all the screen with your finger.
3) Double Tapping
- As a basic operational method of execution, double tapping is performed when you quickly tap twice in a certain area of the touch screen.
Note: when tapping slowly or when it becomes one tap, the focused item is not opened, and the process starts from the beginning which means that you should double tap again.
4) Scrolling and Dragging
- As another type of navigation, two fingers can be used to touch the screen by moving your fingers on the left and right side or up and down to move the items. This is generally used when unlocking the device, moving among items on a screen which contains many elements, or going to the next page.
Note: To scroll down the list,swipe with two fingers from the bottom towards the top of the screen and vice-virsa to scroll the list up. Swipe with two fingers from the left to the right to go to the next page.
5) Hovering Action
- A hovering action is the process of combining clicking and navigating. This action can be performed by taking hands off the desired item while hovering. When getting used to the instructions, the hovering action is used for dialing or keyboard inputting. It could also be called lifting.
3. Training Operation
1) Looking Into the Hover Action
- While moving your hands and hovering on the item marked on the touch screen, the hover action is the command that will allow you to open the item by taking your hands off the item. Used for quick movement for options like phone dialing, ARS dialing, keyboard inputting, and command panel prompts.
2) Looking Into One Handed Dragging
- One handed dragging is moving while touching twice in a row on a certain area when scrolling through the list on the screen or page. The movement must be performed without taking your hands off when touching the screen twice. This operation is the same as moving with two fingers.
4. Basic Shortcut Gestures
1) Swipe down:
- Pauses or rechecks the voice or zoom of each items content that is currently on focus.
- Can read or indicate zoom when the Swipe down is in the same item.
- Rechecks the last letter when typing in the edit box.
2) Swipe Up:
- Automatically performs a command according to a certain screen, such as keyboard inputting, document reading, keypad or music players.
- Swipe up to make a call after entering a phone number.
- Swipe up to receive a call.
- End a phone call by swiping up.
- Transfer a callwhile waiting for another one.
- Swipe up to stop the music while listening.
- Open the lock screen.
- The whole screen will be read in voice mode, for example, when the currently focused screen is Homescreen, or inside a certain application.
-Text viewer is zoomed in by swiping up when idle.
- Open the voice input mode while typing in an edit box.
3) Swipe up and down (in a motion)
- Stops voice and zoom mode.
- Stops voice and zoom mode and operates in the normal screen.
- The screen changes to a sighted persons view or applies the visually impaired people¡¯s mode.
- Touch the notification bar on top of the screen to start the ShinePlus again.
- Press the Homebutton three times on versions above Androids KitKat.
- Use the power button to turn off the screen and turn it back on in case of any ShinePlus random issue.
4) Side and Up Swipe
- Change to Voice Mode and Zoomed Letter Mode.
- Useful to use the voice and zoom functions.
- This mode is maintained when starting again after terminating in the corresponding mode.
5) Swipe left and right (in a motion)
- Opens up the command panel. The Command Panel is designed to perform the frequently used options and commands when using ShinePlus. The main functions are arranged in rows, and detailed functions are composed in columns.
- The hover action and execution after navigation are both supported in the desired function items.
- Refer to the Instructions by main functions for details including how to use the Command panel.
5. Trained Shortcut Gestures
1) Swipe down Twice:
- Reads all contents entered in Voice Mode in the Edit box.
- Zooms all contents entered in Zoom Mode in the Edit box.
2) Swipe up then right:
- Moves to the previous page or list screen.
3) Swipe down then right:
- Moves to the next page or the next screen consisting of lists.
4) Swipe left then up:
- Moves to the first item of the current screen.
5) Swipe left then down:
- Moves to the last item of the current screen.
6) Swipe up turning into the left:
- Sets or closes the cover mode in voice mode.
The device can be normally used when you activate the cover mode. The Cover mode dims the screen by helping you save a lot of battery percentage. This can be a very useful option for power saving purposes.
- In zoom mode, it sets or closes functions for blue light and color sense calibration.
- Blue light blocks the blue shades of colors that results in eye fatigue.
- Color sense calibration helps you distinguish the colors.
7) Swipe up turning into the right:
- Moves to a certain location or turns up the selected functions regarding mobile accessibility.
- Marked information can be configured through the corresponding functions in the command panel. Marking is the same function as bookmarking.
- The preferred accessibility function is opened in a screen situation that applies mobile accessibility.
8) Swipe down turning into the left:
- Automatically activates or closes the Whisper Mode. The Whisper Mode provides a muted or low voice. It can be used to prevent privacy invasion due to voice feedback.
9) Swipe down turning into the right:
- The selected App is opened from the App to Plug-In within the ShinePlus settings.
- Phone Dial (shortcut keypad) is opened in the general window.
- After entering a number key in the dial pad, pressing sharp (#) will open the configured App.
- Use the short key in the command panel to select the short key.
1. Visually Impaired People
- Visually impaired people use the zoom letter and voice feedback features when necessary.
- Swiping up and down in a motion is used to pause the voice and zoom modes.
- Slightly touch the notification bar on top of the screen to bring out the Voice and zoom modes.
- To change from voice to zoom mode, swipe down and up in a motion.
- When the user interface shows Zoom oriented voice support, one touch is needed to open the icon. In this case, scrolling is performed using two fingers (Including the lock screen).
- When Voice and zoom modes are not used frequently, change to vision protection mode in the ShinePlus settings.
- Using voice and zoom modes when only typing are very convenient.
2. Reading the Notification Bar and Opening the Notification Window
- The notification window is opened by double tapping or dragging with two fingers the notification bar on top of the screen. Supported in Voice and Zoom Mode. The notification bar includes notifications, such as those from social network services, for example, facebook or twitter, new messages, missed calls, the battery status, date and time etc. Some phones may also include the option to turn on and off Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, auto rotate screen, enable or disable sound etc.
3. Start Button
- ShinePlus comes with a new optionin the menu item found on the top left part of the notification bar. Double tap the Start Button on the notification bar to open the start screen. All Apps, shortcut pads, and other contents are included in this menu. Recently opened Apps and contents are arranged alphabetically in the start menu.
4. Quick Settings
- ShinePlus includes a quick settings menu found on the top right side of the screen of the notification bar. It is accessed by double tapping on it. The quick settings menu includes a set of phone settings such as Wi-fi, GPS, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, Power saving mode (for phones which support it), NFC and many other services which are included in the phone settings.
5. Cell Board
- Cell board is a function that hovers over each character string and rechecks them. When pointing to the character string and opening the command panel, the cell board is indicated on the bottom of the screen. Each cell in the cell board is indicated in word units at first, and then indicated as one letter when pointing twice at the item.
6. Gesture Safe Mode
- Gesture Safe Mode is a function that prevents mistakes in changing focus to undesired positions while operating. All touch functions during Gesture Safe Mode are ignored. Gesture Safe Mode is activated by default.
7. Blocking Continuous Reading Interruption
- Prevents screen from turning off while reading long documents using the voice feature. In this case, the screen goes into power saving mode, without turning off.
- Prevents unintended touches while reading long documents using the voice.
Note: You can stop reading by swiping down with one finger.
8. Sound effect while downloading
- ShinePlus plays a Tick-toc sound when downloading an application or file so that the user is informed that a download is in progress.
9. Auto Recovery Function
- When the screen goes off, ShinePlus automatically optimises the ShinePlus status.
- When problems occur regarding ShinePlus, turn off the screen, and turn it back on to solve the problems.
- When the volume drops below 20%, it will automatically go to 50% to prevent inability to hear ShinePlus while interacting with your device.
10. Continuous Reading of Documents
- Swipe down with one finger to pause the voice when reading a long document. Swiping up will start reading again from where you stopped.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the minimal system requirements?
-ShinePlus will operate exclusively on versions of Android 4.1 and above.
2. How do I use the Main Functions like EarTalk?
- The Main functions are accessed by going to ShinePlus Settings or the Command Panel. You can access the command panel by swiping left and right in a motion.
3. The voice will not stop when touching the screen. What should I do?
- Swipe down with one finger to stop the voice output. It is normal if the voice does not stop while reading long sentences. This option helps prevent stopping the voice if the user touches the screen unintentionally.
4. What are some of the new features of ShinePlus to be released?
- There are some new options and functions that are being beta tested before being released in the next official version.
5. What role does the User Type play?
- The following are their roles: Voice-Orientation, Zoom Orientation, and Vision Protection for User Type.
- User Type is a ShinePlus service that provides accessibility assistance for different users to make it easy for them to use their devices.
- If you are blind, you should select voice orientation mode. If you are visually impaired, select zoom orientation mode or vision protection mode. Select Vision protection mode if you have no visual problems. User Type can be found under the ShinePlus settings.
6. Internet surfing is not working well. What should I do?
- You must use Google Chrome to browse the internet. Chrome is compatible with ShinePlus.
- Web documents must be loaded in order to use ShinePlus on other browsers.
7. The keyboard does not read aloud. What should I do?
- Use a keyboard that supports minimal accessibility to enter words on ShinePlus. Samsung Keyboard is supported, but Google Keyboard is more precise when you are typing on an edit box. Additionally, you could visit the ShinePlus Store which recommends good keyboards.
8. What is the difference between Shine Setting and the Command Panel?
- Shine Setting and the Command Panel may have the same item names. The command panel provides more items and in the same screen, whereas ShinePlus settings may provide the same ShinePlus functions, but separated in specific sections. The command panel also provides some additional options, such as copy, additional copy, paste, ability to open certain apps such as YouTube search, voice search etc.
- In this case, ShinePlus Settings will save the selected options so that it can be maintained even when the screen is turned off. The Command Panel will recover to the default options as in the ShinePlus Settings when the screen is turned off and then back on.
Note: ShinePlus status is optimised in case of any issue when you turn the screen off and turn it back on.
9. The Whisper and EarTalk functions are not working properly. What should I do?
- These functions are influenced by phone¡¯s hardware in ShinePlus. The functions may not work correctly in specific phones. In this case, try changing the EarTalk sensitivity in the ShinePlus Settings.
- Release the corresponding item on ShinePlus Settings.
10. Occasionally, a pop-up appears. How do I use it?
- A pop-up window appears at least once a day. It provides instructions or tips, news or notification information, and advertisements. This pop-up cannot be deactivated. However, the pop-up window does not appear when receiving or making calls nor when ShinePlus is being activated.
1. When operations do not work when web surfing?
- ShinePlus is optimized to be used with Google Chrome. It is highly recommended that you use Google Chrome for web surfing. In addition, Web content must be fully optimized on other web browsers.
2. When navigation works, but voice is not produced?
- Voice is not operational in zoom mode, so you should change to voice mode by swiping down then up. If the problem persists, turn off the screen and turn it back on.
3. When voice is produced even though it has been turned off?
- When selecting Voice Oriented Zoom Support, the voice mode resumes when turning the screen off and back on. This is a safety function that prevents misuse by users due to voice pauses. If this function is not desired, change to Zoom Orientation Voice Support.
- When the web document is opened in Android 4.1 and 4.1.2, the voice is occasionally produced.
4. When the zoom letter function does not work during web surfing?
- ShinePlus is optimized to be used with Google Chrome. Thus, use Google Chrome to browse the internet.
- This may occur on other web browsers.
5. When the sound is too low?
- Check if the sound is coming out of the small speaker of the phone (The speaker used to hear the caller¡¯s voice). Make sure the Whisper Mode is not activated. Otherwise turn the screen off and then on.
6. When mobile accessibility and labels have not been applied?
- The App and version have to agree with the mobile accessibility and label functions.
- The mobile accessibility script file is provided in the recent App.
- User labels must be entered after deleting the existing script files.
7. Other unknown conditions?
- The main function of ShinePlus is reading the content of the screen or zooming in.
- Various conditions can occur because many Apps are installed on phones.
- When unknown conditions occur, check for changed settings on existing Apps or installed Apps.
8. Additional Notes:
- Other accessibility Apps cannot be used when using ShinePlus (such as Talkback). This may cause many errors while operating.
- Use Wi-Fi for Web Content or accessing the Store from ShinePlus Home.
- Fees may occur for video web content.
- When changing the TTS engine, you must turn the screen off and then on for the changes to be made.
- After changing the keyboard, turn the screen off so that TTS is compatible.
- Sounds may not be heard when dialing during Whisper status.
- Make phone calls when Whisper Mode is off.
Instructions for Main features of ShinePlus:
1. Voice Mode
1) Screen On/Off information
- Is there any information I need when the screen is turned on?
- Some information may be announced when you turn the screen on. The included information might be date, time, battery percentage, or a sound effect. This feature can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and selecting Voice Settings.
2) Sound effects
- Are the sound effects irritating when navigating on the screen?
- You can choose whether to play sound effects while using ShinePlus. This feature can be accessed by going to ShinePlus settings and selecting voice settings.
3) Speak when screen is off
- Do you want a quiet smartphone?
- No voice feedback occurs when the screen is off. This function might be applied even when the screen is temporarily on. You can activate this option by going to ShinePlus settings and Voice settings, or via the Command Panel.
4) Notification Information Setting
For one reason or another, you may want to hear only that kind of information that is important to you. When activating this function, only important sent information will be announced by ShinePlus. This feature can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and voice settings.
5) Continuous Reading of Documents
- If you like to read a long sentence or a whole paragraph, or even a page, activating this option will make ShinePlus read without stopping or turning the screen off. If you touch a long sentence, ShinePlus will read it without fearing that screen will be turned off. In addition, you have the option to stop ShinePlus reading the document by swiping down with one finger and swiping up will start reading again, from where you stopped. This option is found under ShinePlus settings and Voice settings.
6) Object Type
- You may find it time-wasting to read detailed information about what you touch on your screen. For example, you may touch on NFC, and it will read: ¡°NFC: Allow data exchange when your device touches another device¡±. When activating this option, only heading information is read aloud. You can activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and voice settings.
7) Keyboard Echo
- If you want not to read back the letters as you type them, you can select this option and ShinePlus will only announce the letter when you touch it. The letter will not be repeated. This option can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and voice settings.
Note: Use this function only if you are a part of English Alphabet and make sure you have experience on using android.
Suggestion: Use Google Keyboard for a better experience.
2. Zoom Settings
1) Highlight Text Background and Color
- Do you feel that your eyes are tired by reading a highlighted text color?
- You can change the background and text color to clearly read the words using this option. The option can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and zoom settings.
2) Text Highlight Magnification
- Is the highlighted text and words still too small?
- The words when using this setting can be magnified 16 times. The option can be found by going to ShinePlus settings and zoom settings.
3) Text Highlight Speed
- Is the highlight speed slow with longer sentences?
- The speed of highlighting for long sentences can be adjusted when using this function. If you own a device running android 4.3 and up, you can control the speed by using the volume keys.
4) Text Highlight Transparency
- Is the text highlighting annoying on the screen?
- Text highlighting in the background becomes transparent when using this option. You can activate it by going to ShinePlus Settings and Zoom settings.
5) One Touch Zoom Mode Setting
- Do you want to break away from the double tap?
- All operations are done using one touch for all icons and menus in the Zoom Mode when using this option. It is zoomed while dragging. However, two fingers should be used when scrolling. Option found under ShinePlus settings and Zoom settings.
6) Temporary Navigation using Voice and Zoom
- You may feel like using only the Zoom letter option. So when using this function, the Zoom mode is used temporarily by touching the notification bar.
3. Communication Settings
1) Voice Settings for Receiving Call Information
- Were you surprised when the voice read phone numbers?
- Select this option to allow ShinePlus to read the phone number when somebody calls you. You can activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and Telephone settings.
2) Voice Settings During Calls
- Does the TTS Voice interrupt your conversation during calls?
- Select this option if you want to hear the TTS in case of any announcement or if you touch anything. You can use this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and telephone settings.
3) Keypad Touch Method for Making Calls
- You may find it inconvenient double tapping to enter a number in the keypad edit box or you may want a similar typing to keyboard inputting, so activating this option will change to single tapping when entering numbers. The option can be activated by going to ShinePlus Settings and Telephone Settings.
4) ARS Keypad Touch Setting
- Do you run out of time because of the ARS keypad double tap?
- The ARS Keypad will change to one tap or double tap when using this option. There may be differences on various Android versions. ShineQWERTY should be selected. Option found under ShinePlus Settings and Telephone settings.
5) Dial Keypad Touch Echo Setting
- Do you find it confusing that the typed values are read twice? Click the dial button and then disable the entered value for this setting. You can activate this option by going to ShinePlus Settings and Telephone Settings.
6) Gesture Sensitivity Related to Calls
- When making and ending calls, is it too problematic to perform the corresponding commands?
- This option prevents undesired gestures during calls. You can activate or deactivate this option by going to ShinePlus Settings and Telephone settings.
4. Touch and Operation Settings
1) Gesture Safe Mode
- Do you touch your screen every time you use the swipe functions?
- This prevents undesired swipes during gestures. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control Settings.
2) Command Touch Method
- Do you want to quickly open the internal functions of the command panel?
- Functions found in the command panel can be quickly accessed by touching them and lifting the finger to activate. Select this option by going to ShinePlus Settings and Telephone settings.
3) Home Key Triple Tap Setting
- Do you want to quickly switch between Voice/Zoom Mode and Vision Protection Mode?
- Change quickly from Voice/Zoom Mode to Vision Protection Mode by pressing the home button three consecutive times. There is a switching effect when activating and deactivating the voice/zoom mode. Supported on Android 4.3 and up. The option can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and touch and control settings.
4) Long Tap Method Setting
- Do you find it too difficult performing a long tap on your phone? Simply tap for a rather longer time when activating this option. You can activate this feature by going to ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control Settings.
5) Menu and Cancel Key Touch Method
- Sometimes, you may tap the menu and cancel button accidentally. Activating this option will prompt you to double tap when using these keys. Option found under ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control Settings.
6) Hardware Keyboard Setting
- Do you want to open remote navigation via Bluetooth?
- Screen navigation can be opened via external keyboards when using this function. The basic settings only control the cursor. It does not navigate on the screen. Activate this feature, by going to ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control Settings.
7) Changing the Menu Key to a Multi Key function
- Do you want an exclusive key for multitasking?
- By using this function, recently opened Apps are activated by pressing the menu key. This feature is available only on phones with physical menu keys (Samsung Galaxy series). The option can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings, and touch and control settings.
8) Invalid Object Pass
- Do you want to optimize web surfing?
- By using this function, unimportant objects are not operated. Option can be found under ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control Settings.
9) Volume Key TTS control
- Do you want to Control the TTS Volume using the Volume keys?
- The volume keys will change the TTS volume, rather than the ring volume. This function is no longer active when turning off the screen and turning it back on. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus Settings and Touch and Control settings.
1) Assign up or down gestures on the initial screen
- Do you want to open a desired App as soon as the Screen comes on?
- By using this function, you can open your favorite apps by swiping up or swiping down with one finger. You should select your desired app for each gesture. Use this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and usability section.
Note: this option is available only when you are focused on lock screen or home screen.
2) Shortcut Home Key Setting
- Do you want your favorite app to be opened when turning on the screen?
- When using this option, desired Apps can be opened by pressing the home button when the screen is off. Option can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings and usability section.
Note: double tapping the home key might be necessary models of phones.
5) Lock screen settings
- Do you want to disable the lock screen?
- By using this function, the lock screen can be skipped when turning the screen on. Enable this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and usability section.
Note: you cannot take advantage of this feature when security options are used.
6) Voice setting for only typing
- Do you want voice/zoom mode only when you are typing?
-By using this function, voice/zoom mode is activated only when typing, even if this mode is turned off. Option is found under ShinePlus settings and usability section.
7) Zoom setting for inputted text
- Do you want to zoom in the inputted text?
- By using this function, the text is magnified when tapping on the input window for a long time, even if the mode is turned off. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and Usability section.
8) Voice mode only for the inputted text
- Do you want to use voice only for the inputted text?
- When using this option, the voice for text is provided when tapping on the input window for a long time, even if the mode is turned off. Activate this option by going to ShinePlus settings and usability section.
9) Screen Text Translation
- Do you want to translate the screen content to another language?
- This feature allows you to translate text or element names to other languages. Go to the text, which you want to be translated and use the Command Panel. Tap the sky blue band on the Candy Bar to translate the text. This feature can be activated by going to ShinePlus settings, and usability section.
10) App to Plug In
- Do you want to change the useful functions of ShinePlus?
- By using this function, the UI or useful functions from external Apps can be used effectively with ShinePlus. At the moment, there is a dial keypad and a short keypad included in the function. In the future, more items will be added to the App to add more features. This option is opened by swiping and turning down into the right. Option is found under ShinePlus settings and Usability section.
1) Whisper mode
- Do you know about the whisper mode?
The whisper mode is a ShinePlus feature, which allows you to hear the voice of TTS via the small speaker that you use during calls. It is very useful in noisy environments or when you feel concerned about your privacy. Activate the Whisper auto mode by going to ShinePlus settings or via the Command panel. Also you can activate it by swiping down then left.
2) Whisper Auto Mode
- Do you want the contents on the screen to be whispered?
- By setting up this function, TTS voice ¡°whispers¡± while the screen is on.
3) Whisper Auto usage.
- Do you want the Whisper Function to be opened when necessary?
- By using this function, the whisper mode will be opened without putting it to your ear. Activate this option by swiping down then left.
4) Whisper Navigation Control
- Do you want to explore items on the screen using the volume keys?
- By enabling this option, you can explore the items on the screen using the volume keys in Whisper Auto Mode. The feature can be activated by going to ShinePlus Settings and Privacy section.
5) Block Whisper Touch
- Do you think that touching the screen unintentionally with your ear might activate or read anything?
- By activating this option, touching the screen with your ear won¡¯t do anything while in Whisper Auto Mode. You can enable this function by going to ShinePlus settings and Privacy settings.
- Did you hear about the Eartalk Feature?
- Another innovative feature is activated when the screen goes off.
- Eartalk provides useful information based on various voices and is an option that operates when holding your phone to your ear while the screen is off. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings and privacy section.
7) Eartalk function
- Do you want to receive SNS messages like a phone call?
- By using this function, you can receive SNS (Social network service) messages, notifications, and other information by using the whisper feature. Listen to SNS messages after two minutes through Eartalk. You can enable this option by going to ShinePlus settings and privacy section.
8) Haptic Braille
- Do you want to read Braille through phone vibrations?
- By using this feature, the bottom six-cell lines are changed to braille for every navigated sentence and are read via vibration. You can feel the vibration from left to right by placing your fingers quickly across the screen, which is divided into six columns. Apply this option in ShinePlus Settings. First, close the Voice mode, then operate by swiping up and down.
Note: This function can only be used when set to Voice oriented zoom support.
7. Finger View
1) Finger View Possibilities
- Do you want a sensible touch screen?
- By using this function, voice and zoom are indicated when sliding fingers among text on normal screens. However, scrolling must be used with two fingers. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings.
2) Excluding the First Item (Finger View)
- Do you want to disable the touch feature when touching text?
- When initializing this option, the text is not zoomed when passing the first text on the finger view screen. The option is available on ShinePlus Settings.
3) Tap-Tap (Kook-Kook) Mode
- Are you worried that an item could be opened with a slight touch?
- By using this function, all the items must be tapped hard in order to be opened. Go to ShinePlus Settings to use this feature.
4) Block Screen External Touch
- Do you think that the screen will be touched when holding the phone tightly in your hands?
- By using this function, the external touch feature of the screen will be prevented. Option found under ShinePlus Settings.
8. Candy Bar
1) Activate the CandyBar (Indication)
- Do you want functions related to voice and zoom to be effectively indicated?
- Tap the top right corner of the screen for the CandyBar to be appeared. After tapping the red band, move with your finger hovered on the contents of the screen for voice feedback.
2) Zoom CandyBar Screen Elements.
- Do you want to zoom in some of the elements of the screen? After pressing the yellow band, move with your finger hovered on the elements to zoom in.
3) Zoom all Candy Bar Screen Content
- Do you want to zoom in on all contents of the screen?
- After pressing the green band, tap the content of the screen. All contents from that point will be zoomed.
4) Hide the CandyBar
- Do you want to hide CandyBar from the screen?
- Touch the white band on the right end of the CandyBar to disable it.
5) Expand the CandyBar Feature
- Are you curious about what are some of the hidden features of the CandyBar?
- Tap the white band on the right end of the Candy Bar and move while holding it.
The new CandyBar set will be expanded. The following features are available in the CandyBar Set: Voice/Zoom, Screen Filter, Search and App Management.
6) Move the CandyBar
- Do you want to move the CandyBar¡¯s location?
- The CandyBar¡¯s location can be moved up and down. However, the range is from the top of the screen to the middle. To move the Candy Bar, touch the white band on the right, hold and then move it.
7) Changing the CandyBar Size
- Is the CandyBar hard to See?
- By using this function, the CandyBar¡¯s thickness can be changed. The option can be found under ShinePlus Settings.
8) Changing the Candy Bar settings
- Do you want to change the existing settings of the Candy Bar?
- Long press the white band on the right end of the Candy Bar to show the settings.
9) Side Tap
- Do you want to quickly open a desired App in any situation?
- Double tap or long tap the top right corner of the screen to open your desired App. Activate this option by going to ShinePlus settings.
10) Blue Light
- Are your eyes tired by the light coming from the screen?
- By using this function, your eyes become more comfortable because it blocks the blue light that is exhausting your eyes.
11) Direct App
- Do you want to quickly open Apps in a certain situation?
- Select the Direct App by moving the CandyBar. Open those Apps that are used frequently, by long pressing the desired band on the CandyBar, you choose the current app to be opened. By pressing the corresponding band, the App is opened in any situation.
12) Enhanced Color
- Do you find it difficult to distinguish red from green?
- By using this function, particular colors (red, green, and blue) stand out or become weakened to help distinguish each color. Activate this feature by going to ShinePlus settings.
9. Move and Edit Navigation
1) Controlling and Changing the Granularity
- Do you want to check each word in the text?
- By using this option, text can be read by letter, word, line, paragraph, and default granularity. After activating this function, you can use it by left or right swiping. The default recovers object units to their original status. Select the corresponding text and apply it in the Command Panel.
- You may want to copy some text from somewhere, and paste it in a file to read it later or to show it to somebody else. By using this function, text can be copied, further text can be copied, and then pasted together. Additional Copy is added after the previously copied contents. Select the desired text to apply in the Command Panel.
- This feature is available on versions above Android 4.4 or when using the ShineQWERTY keyboard.
1) Short Key
- Do you want to open Apps quickly?
- By using this function, selected Short Keys are used for Apps or content that has been previously opened. Afterwards, Short Key Execution is operated by swiping down turning into the right. Use this option by opening up the command panel.
- Do you want to give a name to an image or to an unlabeled button?
- By using this function, users can label images to distinguish them for easy use in the future. The label list is managed using the mobile accessibility function. You can find this option in the command panel.
- Do you want to reach particular locations of the screen all at once?
- By using this feature, you can select particular locations of screen so that you can use them all at once in the future.
- This feature can be used by opening the Command panel and selecting Marking. Swipe from top of the screen pointing to the right to move to the selected location.
4) Version Information
- This feature lets you check the version of the app that you are currently using. For example, you may open the Facebook app, and using this option will tell you its current version. Use this feature by opening the command panel and selecting Version information.
5) Screen Auto Read
- Do you want to read all the contents of the screen?
- When using this function,ShinePlus will read all the elements on the screen where you are currently focused. Use this feature by turning up the Command Panel and selecting Screen Auto Read.
6) Zoom All Text
- Do you want to zoom in on all contents of the screen?
- By using this function, zoom will be applied on the selected parts of the screen. Use this feature by opening the Command panel.
7) Screen Character String
- One of the useful features of ShinePlus is the Screen character string. Screen character string allows you to search for a word on the screen and ShinePlus will find and focus on it.
8) Delete App
- Do you want to remove an App?
- By using this option, you will be able to remove the app that is currently opened. Use this feature by opening the Command panel and selecting Remove app.
- Do you want to use an App that is in another language?
- By using this feature, you can translate the elements of the screen to your native language. Use this feature by going to the command panel.
1) Web List
- Do you want to see only the title of the web document?
- By using this function, the cursor moves to the title of the web document. Option can be used by going to the command panel.
2) Web Text
- Do you want to see only the text from the web document?
- When using this option, the ShinePlus cursor moves to the location where text is found. Use this feature by turning up the command panel.
3) Web Input Window
- Do you want to find an edit field within the web document?
- By using this function, the screen moves to the location where there¡¯s any edit field. Use this feature by opening the command panel.
4) Web Phone Number
- Do you want to find a phone number within a web document?
- When using this option, the screen moves to the location where there is any phone number detected. This feature can be found by opening the command panel.
5) Web Search
- If you want to search the web, this feature will allow you to search or jump to any website that you search for. Use this option by opening the command panel and selecting web search.
6) YouTube Search
- Do you want to search for Youtube videos directly?
- By using this feature, you can enter the name or the title of the video that you want to watch on Youtube.
7) App Search
- Use this feature if you want to quickly find apps on Google Playstore. Option is available in the Command Panel.
8) Voice Search
- Do you want to search using your voice?
- When using this function, you can speak the words you would like to search for using your voice and it will go to the web browser. Use this option by opening the Command panel.
12. Shortcut Settings
1) Main Shortcut Settings
- Do you want to open the main settings more easily?
- By using this function, you can quickly change object type, notification method, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Cover Mode settings. Use this feature by going to Command panel.
3) Media and volume Shortcut Settings
- Do you want to quickly change the Volume or TTS Speed?
- By using this option, you can change the Media Volume and TTS Speed. Both the media volume and the TTS speed are divided in eight stages from 20% to 100% slider.
3) Text Highlight Shortcut Setting
- Do you want to quickly change the magnification and speed of the text?
- By using this function, you can quickly change the text highlight magnification settings and speed of the text that is displayed on the screen. The speed is separated into eight different levels.
4) Screen Manager
- Do you want to quickly open the main screen manager?
- When using this feature, you can easily open the Shortkey List, ShinePlus Settings, Device Settings, Recent Apps, and Notification Window. Use this option by opening up the command panel.
The Main Services of ShinePlus Home
1) ShinePlus Home
- ShinePlus Home is the main window that appears when you open ShinePlus for the first time.
- ShinePlus Home consists of various tools and contents that allow you to use ShinePlus in a better way.
2) Web Contents
- This is a public web bookmark where Useful websites, information, videos and other recommended materials are displayed in help of ShinePlus users.
3) Mobile Accessibility
- This is a collection of scripts that are used with Mobile Accessibility to improve accessibility with main Apps. The Apps applied with these scripts are attached with labels on the image of the screen, and are easy to operate.
- This is a place where you can find useful ShineTools, recommended Apps, and other useful information for the blind.
5) Welfare Information
- This space provides information on events, employment opportunities, advertisements, and recruitment available in local communities.